Saturday, February 5, 2011

New Years Day Ride, January 1st, 2011!

Wendy and her Mule Jonah.
Summer taking Sadie Mae for a walk!

I arrived later than I had hoped and had to hurry to get saddled. I waved the group on and when we were ready, Sadie and I trotted to catch up. They did not get very far till someone had a tack problem, so I caught up to them very quickly!

We had several riders and three or four wagons on the ride. As we moved through the woods, it tried to start raining on us a few times, but it just quit as soon as I got my slicker out. Everyone said I should just leave the slicker on!! When we stopped for a break, a young girl named Summer came over and wanted to pet Sadie. She did not want to ride her, just pet her. I taught her how to lead Sadie around, and we gave her younger brother a ride! Sadie was so compliant. She did give Summer a hard time once in a while and made her work for it, though! Poor Sadie, on her time to rest she had to work! We rode over to Camp McCall to the famous tank that overlooks the airfield where they do maneuvers and do parachute drops for the soldiers. Kenny and I started to tell Gene, his friend from South Carolina, about the wagon wreck that almost became an international incident! This is where Donna and Sadie Mae were nearly run over by some runaway mules after a wagon crash! We were in the middle of the story and my phone rang. It was Donna calling from France to say Happy New Year!! How great to hear from her! I asked her if her ears were burning because we were just telling the wagon-wreck story.

When we returned to camp, Kenny’s wife and a friend had a traditional meal for New Years day in the South. It is supposed to bring good luck! Green Collards, Black Eyed Peas, Cornbread and Ham! Thanks, Kenny and Jan!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

No comments: