Friday, March 9, 2012

R.I.P. Sweet Shiloh

On February 18th, my dear friend Linda helped Shiloh go to rest. She had lived with Linda for over three years in her retirement. Linda had fallen as in love with Shiloh as I did the first time she met her. She was in her late 20's and despite joint medications and bute she was in a lot of pain all the time, and when the weather turned cold she could hardly walk. So Linda and I decided that it was time for her to rest.

Shiloh worked for the Amish as a younger girl. She worked hard and her joints showed the wear and tear in an x-ray. She still pulled the cart with a snaffle bit and was solid as a rock!
For her previous owner, Lindsay (another Mule Club Member) she drove in parades and also did some plow day events.
Shelby and Shiloh (on Left) plowing for Lindsay in Connecticut
My mother and I took the long trip to Connecticut to pick her up. She lived at my house for many years, pulling the cart, going for short rides, and giving kids pony rides. So sweet and calm, she is the mule that my Mom loved the best! Despite her being big boned, she felt like you were riding a cloud when you cantered her!

Mom riding Shiloh
I met Linda when she came to my farm several years before to buy my donkey Banjo. At that time she fell in love with Shiloh. She told me that day that if I ever did not want that mule, "I want her!" After a year, and still not sure if Linda was serious, I got to know Linda well, and I decided it would be good for Shiloh to go live with her. I was traveling so much with Seven and Sadie that she was not getting the attention she deserved.
So I took her down to South Carolina, with a big red bow on her, and gave her to Linda! Linda rode her on little walking trail rides in the woods and just loved how calm and gentle she was. She also took Shiloh on several occasions to special events at Tractor Supply, where she works. Shiloh would stand out front with some kind of cute outfit on, greet guests, and give kids pony rides!
So now, thanks to Linda's kind heart and strong love for Shiloh, she has a pasture resting place next to another old mule of Linda's that she rescued, with a white angel statue looking over her! I can't thank you enough, Linda, for taking such great care of Shiloh!
We miss you, sweet Girl Shiloh!!!


No comments: