Friday, September 7, 2012

Seven Wins Twice

Last weekend Reed and I went to a Trail Obstacle Competition in Lake Waccamaw.  It was a very hot and long day but we both had a good time. Reed's horse Fortune and Seven were both so good. We were able to park and rope off an area, making a small paddock area for them to hang out and eat grass. We sat in chairs in the shade with my battery powered fans on our faces trying to cool off! 

About half way through that afternoon and in between classes Fortune saw something across the way and got so scared of it, that Seven was starting to get scared too! So we grabbed them both and I went to go investigate what he was looking at. It turned out to be a friendly Pot-Bellied Pig in a pen. I scratched his head and he oinked at me! 

I knew Seven would not be scared of him so we took them over to see the pig. Seven walked right up to the fence and sniffed at the pig. Fortune was still not so sure but Reed walked up to the fence and Fortune got a lot closer. Reed said it was her first time scratching a pig! 

We had a great show, Seven won both the In-Hand class out of 22 people and then won the Masters Class! 


The Masters takes that same obstacles and makes them harder by adding Horsemanship challenges. Like putting horses two front feet in the Water Box for the count to three, Stop on the twin size mattress for the count to three. The hardest one was a circle of Chalk on the ground. You had to put his front right foot in the circle, then put both front feet in the circle and do a 360 degree turn on the forehand. 

Here is a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIi3Z_L0m4k

I am so Proud of my Seven and treasure the relationship we have! 
Which is what Horsemanship is all about!!

It took me all of Sunday to recover from being out in the heat all day, and the late night getting in. But on Monday (Labor Day) Debbie brought her mule Tucker over for a ride. I rode Seven a little in the arena with her, but then I tacked up Twila for a short trail ride. Everything went so well. I had to do a lot of steering and some encouraging with my legs to get started out, but she soon relaxed and walked out with her neck laid out and head down. She even went through the big ditch! I was so happy with how she was doing, that I giggled the whole time!  Later that day Craig the Farrier showed up and she got shoes for her front feet!  I can't wait to take her for another spin!  



 Judge Heather Hines, Seven, Me, Mary Miller Jordon and FK.

 My awards, Saddle pads and custom necklaces!
 Twila's new shoes! The wholes are spots were she has some healing White Line. Reed said it looked like she has Open Toed shoes!

No comments: