Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The BIG Weekend!

Friday night I headed for Flintrock Farm with my newly washed and clipped mule Seven. Levi was also along for his first big adventure! We camped for the night and then got up early to get ready for the show.
On Oct. 8th, the Carolina Mule Association held its Fundraiser Horse/Mule show. Aimee and Tollie showed up to volunteer for the day and brought their daughter from college, Caroline. She was to show Seven in the English Classes for me! She made friends with Seven and took a short ride to get to know him. She started the day with Halter and then moved into the riding classes. Seven won quite a few classes and got many seconds! She and Seven just clicked and rode so well together! Everyone was asking who she was and was amazed when I told them that she had just met me this morning and had never ridden Seven before!
Then it was time for Western division. I rode him in these classes and he did really well. We did well all afternoon and the competition was close for the High Point Mule Belt Buckle. We got Reserve High Point Mule! Wow what a show! Seven was so good all day! Levi had a great time too! Several kids walked him around and he never met a single stranger. He also got braver being around the horses and mules! He was a good traveler and slept all night in his crate too!
I had dinner that night at Jay and Annette's house with Holly, Linda and Barry! We had a great time and ate left overs and desserts! I was so glad to get a nice hot shower and climb into bed that night.
Sunday AM was another beautiful day! I got up early, packed up and off we went on our next adventure! Just an hour away was a Trail Obstacle Race at Brock and Leshia Griffith's farm in Denton, NC! After we arrived and got settled, we got tacked up. We met some new people too! We warmed up in the ring and then everyone road over to the hill side to the area where all the obstacles were set up! Then the order of go was read and we got picked to go 7th.........
It was soon our turn! Seven seemed ready to do something different from yesterday! So I charged at the course! 1st was opening and closing the arena gate, then a trot down the hill and road to a teeter totter, no problem! Then we had to climb up onto a tractor tire that was filled with dirt. We showed off and did a spin on the tire! Then ran over to the bottom of the hill and up three bank jumps! Seven did this like it was no problem! We then crossed some logs on the ground, through a cowboy rope curtain and on to a ride over a dirt hill. The next thing we were asked to do is ride a circle at a canter to the right. Seven collected up and stayed between my hands and legs the whole time and let me guide him around. We then moved a shower curtain from one barrel to another, dragged a barrel with a cow head in it. We dragged it from behind and then also turned and dragged it again! Then we took off across the field to a spot where we were to stop. I also did two turn arounds there too. Next was a steep hill, where we halted several times on the hill to show control. At the bottom we were to go into a tight trail cut into the woods, it was tight and it had logs to step over and wind around but Seven did it in a smooth manner! As we came out of the woods we jumped three black barrels, cantered to the road, I then stopped and dropped the reins and walked the rest of the way to show how broke and quite he is. I was so happy with his performance! He did everything I asked, how and when I asked! Can't get much more than that! Several people came up and told me they really liked our run! The other guy there with a mule came over to shake my hand! Boy was I proud!
We ended up winning the Race out of 13 people! I won $90 in payback money too! Leisha and Brock Griffith who judged the race said that I had 50 points more than everyone else. Most people rode the course in 10 minutes or more, one rode a little too fast at 5 min., I rode it in 7 minutes and something........
We headed home very happy! Really could not have done any better than we did and had two fun days with some wonderful fall weather too!
Got home and met my Cousin Billy at my house. He lives in Alabama but was in the area for business. So we visited and went to dinner! Billy walked out to see Seven out in the pasture. He tried to video him while he walked up to him. He said "I hear to won a big competition today!" as he said that, Seven's head popped up, he wheeled around, bucked and took off! I can't wait for Billy to send me the video post! It is too funny!

No comments: