Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Vise Clip Incident

In early October we got some rain and the grass really started to kick in again. So I took Chester the Donkey and Seven Mule off the pasture by locking them in the paddock and giving them some hay to eat. They are none too happy with me because the other mules are out in the lush green grass. The first night I went out and checked on Seven and Chester at about 10:30 before bed. I wanted to make sure that they had not broken through the fence or knocked a board out in their unhappiness.
Seven came walking up to the gate looking for a treat. I could not believe my eyes! There was the vise clip that I use to keep the high pressure hose on the fence while it fills, attached to his lower chest, pinching some skin!!
Poor thing, it had to hurt big time! It was only pinching a small bit of skin and this clip is strong enough you would not want to get your fingers in between it. He was a little apprehensive but allowed me to approach him and take it off. The skin where it had been was not broken but felt like it was sure going to be a brusie with some swelling.

Here is a photo fo the Vise Clip for you can get the idea:

I have had that clip out there on the fence holding the hose for over 5 years now and nothing like this has ever happened. Once in a while I have found it on the ground.
The only thing I can think of is that I had it clipped on the fence but not holding the hose and he leaned on it just right to have it pop up and grab him! I can only imagine the jumping, bucking and snorting that went on when that clip first BIT into him!
This just goes to show you, that what ever you leave in or near the pasture, they will find a way to break it or hurt themselves on it! At least in this case, no real harm done!

No comments: